B = Bag UR Own
Using your own bags can not only save resources, but can also save our ocean life. Consider this:
- Over 1 trillion plastic bags are used every year worldwide. Consider China, a country of 1.3 billion, which consumes 3 billion plastic bags daily, according to China Trade News.
- About 1 million plastic bags are used every minute.
- A single plastic bag can take up to 1,000 years to degrade.
- Plastic bags are the second-most common type of ocean refuse, after cigarette butts (2008)
They’re not just for groceries – bringing your own bag for any purchase is a great way to lower consumption and know you are doing your part. But most people who use use reusable bags know that keeping bags available can be tricky. How can you prompt yourself to actually have your reusable bags when you need them?
- Make a note on your shopping list or place a note on your door
- Keep them in your car
- If you forget your bag, skip your trip or buy a new one
- Remember you are making a difference – think of the 14 million trees and 12 million barrels of oil we would be saving if we all bagged our own stuff. That’s what it takes to produce the 30 billion plastic and 10 billion paper grocery bags consumed annually by the United States, alone.
The good news is that people and communities all over the world are coming up with solutions and alternatives – and some great companies are offering great information as well as great product!